Dear residents of Monash
I’m writing this letter on day five of Victoria’s fourth lockdown, reflecting on where we are at as a community, and as a nation.
The pandemic has resulted in many Victorians enduring great hardship and uncertainty. In these very difficult times, I am even more aware of my privilege to represent you in Australia’s parliament and influence decision-makers about both local and national issues.
In this context, I’m pleased to report that the 2021 Budget (see attached overview) provides a significant funding boost for Gippsland. This includes:
- $630.2 million to enable better access to quality aged care services in regional, rural and remote areas, and a focus on improved access for people with special needs and those of indigenous backgrounds, and
- an extra $203.4 million for the Monash Roads Upgrade Project and additional $307 million for the Pakenham Roads Upgrade project which will significantly ease congestion and create much-needed regional jobs.
At a national level, it’s been a great relief to me that the government has put aside the potential privatisation of ACAT and paused the introduction of independent assessments for people on the NDIS. Respect is always a powerful motivator – a value that should underpin genuine consultation processes and essential if the NDIS is to remain a fair, equitable and sustainable scheme.
As a long-time advocate for marginalised and vulnerable people, I continue to speak up for:
- Increased dignity and respect for our elders and their carers in the aged care sector
- Respect, justice and safety for women
- Urgent action and compassion to address homelessness and housing stress
- Communal responsibility to build strong connections with our First Peoples as the basis for national healing
- A smart Australia – including a call for our nation to return to self-sufficiency and increased support for business owners, and
- Humane and well-considered treatment of refugees.
In these challenging times, it’s important we support one another. As always, if I can be of assistance please contact my office: firstname.lastname@example.org or 5623 2064. If you would like to receive my regular updates please sign up to my mailing list.
Download the 2021 Budget Update
Russell Broadbent MP
Member for Monash